If you’re interested in giving your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program, CaliforniaChoice is for you. Choice is a part of our name – and we have been offering more of it to Californians since 1996.
Having a variety of PPO, HMO, EPO, and other health plan options is important, because it gives you the opportunity to match a plan to your specific health care needs. We launched our health plan comparison series in 2020 to help you understand the advantages offered by each of the eight health plans that are part of CaliforniaChoice.
The comparison below looks at Anthem Blue Cross, which is available statewide, and Oscar Health, which offers group coverage in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
Anthem Blue Cross
One of the state’s largest insurers, Anthem Blue Cross delivers coverage to millions of Californians. The insurer offers flexible, innovative benefits, health improvement programs, and simplified administration.
Anthem Benefits Overview
- Contracts with more than 90% of hospitals in California, including 400 acute care hospitals
- One of the largest PPO networks in the country, including 60,800 doctors and specialists in California and thousands more from coast to coast
- Strong network contracting, with an average 60% hospital discount and 48% average provider discount
- Anthem mobile app and online cost and care finder tools to make it easy to compare costs for common services and procedures; additional provider quality comparisons available through ratings and member reviews
- Cash back when shopping at thousands of retailers with PayForward, and separate special offer discounts on health products and services
- Wellness programs and tools to help you keep active and fit
Oscar is the country’s first technology-driven health insurer focused on improving the member experience through easy, personalized service.
Oscar for Business was launched to bring the same Oscar experience that individuals already love to the employer market.
Oscar Benefits Overview
- Full access to a network of first-rate providers that includes top health systems like UCLA, USC Keck, Hoag, Huntington, and others – in fact, Oscar has four of LA’s top five hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) in-network!
- No referrals required – ever. Being required to get a primary care physician first in order to see a specialist can waste your time and money. With Oscar, you can go directly to any specialist in your network – no roadblocks!
- A dedicated Concierge team, made up of care guides and a nurse who can answer questions, help you save money, and find you a doctor. Each member is assigned his or her very own Concierge team, which means you talk to the same people every time you have questions – no more anonymous call centers!
- Unlimited Doctor on Call. Talk to a board-certified doctor within 15 minutes, 24/7, for medical advice. Oscar will even send prescriptions straight to your pharmacy. All plans offer telemedicine at no cost or a low-cost ($15) copay.
- Oscar’s industry-leading mobile app makes it easy to manage benefits, find great care, and see everything in one place. You can easily search for doctors in your network, track your deductible, understand your claims, see lab results and prescriptions, access your digital member ID card, message your Concierge team, talk to a doctor via Doctor on Call, and more!
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, one of your employees might choose Anthem Blue Cross because of its broad provider network, while another selects Oscar because of its focus on health care integration with technology. They both get what they want with CaliforniaChoice – plus the option to choose from six other plans. In addition, there are employer benefits, too – including single-source administration for enrollment, eligibility, billing, and customer service.
Check back to see additional comparisons for other CaliforniaChoice health plans:
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sutter Health Plus
- Sharp Health Plan
- Western Health Advantage
To learn more about coverage options available from CaliforniaChoice, talk with your employee benefits or health insurance agent. If you don’t have an agent, you can search for one here.