California Choice Health Plan Comparison: Health Net and Kaiser Permanente
We can all agree that having health insurance choices is important. Everyone’s needs are different. That's the idea on which CaliforniaChoice was built more than 20 years ago. We give people the ability to choose from eight different health plans in a single health insurance program so that can find the one that's right for them.
Knowing your choices is equally important. We’re breaking it down for you in our series of health plan comparisons. Our goal is to make it easy for you to compare the key benefits of each of our plans and make your decision from there.
The comparison below looks at Health Net and Kaiser Permanente both available statewide.
Established in 1977, Health Net of California is among the state’s largest health insurers. It offers a range of coverage options to millions of California residents. Within the CaliforniaChoice program, you and your employees can choose from 12 different HMO options.
Health Net Benefits Overview
- Predictable costs and easy-to-understand health care benefits
- A choice of provider networks with trusted doctors, medical groups, and hospitals in cities across California
- Access to nurses by phone 24/7
- A Health Net Mobile app that makes it easier for you to get things done
- 24/7 access to telehealth services, with board-certified doctors available by phone, mobile app, or on the web
- Ability to schedule an on-demand doctor house call for sick/urgent care services through Heal.com (in select urban areas)
- Decision Power Wellness Coaching
- Strength and stability: Centene, Health Net’s parent company, is a Fortune 100 company
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you can offer your employees coverage from eight health plans (with 80+ coverage options), so they can find the one that meets their unique needs. For example, one employee could choose Kaiser Permanente because of its integrated approach to health care through its own facilities, while another employee might select Health Net because of its wide network of providers across the state. With CaliforniaChoice, they can both get what they want. Other employees also have access to six other statewide and regional health plan options.
CaliforniaChoice offers more than premier health insurance. There are other advantages, too. Like one monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage, value-added benefits like the Member Value Suite and Business Solutions Suite, and a single email and toll-free phone number for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
You can see other comparisons for CaliforniaChoice plans on our blog, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
For additional information about all of the advantages offered by CaliforniaChoice, talk with your employee benefits agent or insurance broker. If you don’t have one, we can help you find one here.