California Choice Health Plan Comparison: Western Health Advantage and UnitedHealthcare
CaliforniaChoice recognizes the importance of having choices – it’s part of our name. We give you and your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program.
It’s also important you understand the advantages offered by each of your options. This ongoing series of comparisons breaks it down for you by noting key benefits available through our eight participating health plan partners.
The comparison below looks at Western Health Advantage, available regionally in Northern California, and UnitedHealthcare, available statewide.
Western Health Advantage
Since 1996, Western Health Advantage (WHA) has been a reliable health care partner to Northern Californians. Through its HMO network, WHA serves employers and individuals in Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties as well as parts of Placer and El Dorado counties. Supporting communities is one of WHA’s core values.
Western Health Advantage Benefits Overview
- Affordable coverage with many choices
- A network of thousands of local, trusted doctors and specialists
- Responsive customer service staffed by local, real people
- MyWHA Wellness program with online health and wellness tools
- Discounts on gym memberships
- Nurse24 advice line with registered nurses 24/7
- Worldwide urgent and emergency coverage with Assist America
- A broad network of quality local doctors and hospitals
- A member website, uhcwest.com, providing online tools and resources
- Health and wellness programs
- Preventive care for covered family members
- Fitness reimbursement program
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
CaliforniaChoice gives you and your employees the ability to choose a health plan you believe will best meet your specific health care needs. For example, one of your employees could select Anthem Blue Cross, because it includes access to a large national PPO network. Another might select UnitedHealthcare, because it offers multiple HMO options and networks across all metal tiers. In addition, employees have access to two other options statewide and four regional health plans.
Beyond great insurance choices, CaliforniaChoice offers advantages for your business, too. It allows you to manage all of your employee health care benefits in a single program, with one convenient monthly bill and A+ rated customer service.