CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Health Net and Sutter Health Plus
Everyone’s health care needs are different. That's the idea on which CaliforniaChoice was built 25 years ago. CaliforniaChoice gives people the freedom to choose the health plan that fits their unique needs. That's because we offer access to eight premier health plans in a single health insurance program.
Knowing the key benefits of each of our plans helps members determine which health plan is right for them. Our CaliforniaChoice plan comparison series takes a closer look at what you can expect from each. This comparison highlights Health Net and Sutter Health Plus.
Established in 1977, Health Net of California is among the state’s largest health insurers. It offers a range of coverage options to millions of California residents. Within the CaliforniaChoice program, you and your employees can choose from 12 different HMO options.
Health Net Benefits Overview
- Predictable costs and easy-to-understand health care benefits
- A choice of provider networks with trusted doctors, medical groups, and hospitals in cities across California
- Access to nurses by phone 24/7
- A Health Net Mobile app that makes it easier for you to get things done
- 24/7 access to telehealth services, with board-certified doctors available by phone, mobile app, or on the web
- Ability to schedule an on-demand doctor house call for sick/urgent care services through Heal.com (in select urban areas)
- Decision Power Wellness Coaching
- Strength and stability: Centene, Health Net’s parent company, is a Fortune 100 company
Sutter Health Plus
Not-for-profit Sutter Health Plus offers competitively priced HMO health plans in the Greater Central Valley, Sacramento, and San Francisco Bay areas. When you choose Sutter Health Plus, you gain access to a high-quality provider network that includes many of Sutter Health’s nationally respected and recognized hospitals, doctors, and other health care services – all at an affordable price.
Sutter Health Plus Benefits Overview
- Competitively priced products that give members access to a network of providers
- Convenient locations within the service area for primary care, specialty care, X-ray and diagnostic imaging, lab, hospital services, etc.
- Mail-order pharmacy program and conveniently located retail pharmacies
- My Health Online (not offered by all providers) to schedule appointments, email doctors, view test results, and access your records
- Coverage for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world
- Welcome calls to help new and returning members better understand medical benefits and coverage – and assist in facilitating initial appointments
- 24/7 nurse advice triage line
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees have more choice – and the ability to find health insurance that meets your unique needs. One of your employees might choose a plan because of its broad PPO network. Another employee might select HMO coverage from a regional or statewide plan. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they need – while other employees have the option to choose from among eight plans and dozens of coverage options.
There are benefits for you, too – like a single monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage and single-source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
Check back to see additional comparisons on other CaliforniaChoice plans, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can provide you with more information about the advantages of CaliforniaChoice and the available coverage options . If you don’t already have an agent, you can search for one here.