CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Kaiser Permanente and UnitedHealthcare
Health care is not one size fits all, which is why CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program.
Understanding your options, and their benefits, is just as important as having choices. Our health plan comparison series shed light on the subject. In this comparison, we explore the benefits of Kaiser Permanente and UnitedHealthcare, two popular health plans available through CaliforniaChoice.
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
UnitedHealthcare of California provides access to quality care and helps you manage your family’s health care costs. The insurer’s large California HMO network includes local physicians and health care professionals in communities across the state. Offering a combination of benefits, quality care, wellness programs to help keep you and your family healthier, and award-winning customer service makes UnitedHealthcare the smart choice for your family’s health care coverage needs.
UnitedHealthcare Benefits Overview
- A broad network of quality local doctors and hospitals
- A member website, uhcwest.com, providing online tools and resources
- Health and Wellness programs
- Preventive care for covered family members
- Fitness reimbursement program
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you can offer your employees coverage from eight health plans, so they can easily find the one that meets their needs. For example, one employee could choose a plan because it offers treatment through its own facilities, while another employee might select a plan because of its diverse provider network across the state. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they want -- and the options for others to select plans based on their specific needs.
CaliforniaChoice offers more than great health insurance. There are other advantages, too. Like one monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage, value-added benefits through the Member Value Suite and Business Solutions Suite, and a single email and toll-free phone number for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
Visit our blog page to see other comparisons for CaliforniaChoice plans, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
For additional information about all of the advantages offered by CaliforniaChoice, talk with your employee benefits agent or insurance broker. If you don’t have one, we can help you find one here.