Running a restaurant is no easy feat, especially in a state like California where the cost of living is soaring. Amidst the hustle and bustle of creating culinary experiences, there’s one challenge that keeps restaurant owners awake at night – providing affordable and comprehensive health care for their hardworking employees. At CaliforniaChoice, we understand that challenge. Even better, we offer a solution that won’t break the bank.
What makes CaliforniaChoice the right choice for your business? Let’s dive into the advantages that make our program a game-changer for California restaurant owners, whether you have one employee, five employees, 35, or 100.
Health Insurance Coverage for Restaurant Business
1: A Great Recruitment Tool
It doesn’t matter if you operate a small bakery, a sandwich shop, a franchise restaurant, or a multi-location chain. Recruiting employees is difficult. Despite an improved labor market, it’s still daunting for many business owners and managers to fill vacant roles. Strong benefits can be a valuable differentiator.
They can help you attract and retain top talent, reduce employee absenteeism, encourage employee loyalty, and boost worker job satisfaction.
The 2023 MetLife Employee Benefit Trends Study found medical/health insurance is a top must-have benefit by nearly four-fifths (79%) of employees. It surpassed paid leave, a 401(k) or other retirement plan, dental insurance, or vision care insurance (or a vision discount program).
2: Options for All – for 28+ Years
CaliforniaChoice has been serving small businesses in California since 1996. We were the state’s first multi-carrier, private health insurance exchange. Today, members can choose 130+ coverage options from eight leading insurers and health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Cigna + Oscar
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Care
- Western Health Advantage
The options available will depend on where you and your employees live. Some plans are available statewide, others are regional.
3: You Control Your Costs
Beyond plan choice, we let you decide how much you want to contribute to your employees’ premiums. You can select a Fixed Percentage (50% to 100%) of a specific benefit. Or you can contribute a Fixed Dollar Amount for each employee.
Employees apply your generous contribution to the health plan and benefits they prefer. If any selects a plan that costs more than your contribution, the employee pays the difference. It’s that simple.
Plus, in 12 months at your renewal, you have the option to change your premium contribution. You can adjust it up or down. That puts you in control over what you spend on benefits for another year. Employees have the flexibility to change their health plan and still stay in the CaliforniaChoice program.
You get just one monthly bill for all employees’ coverage. And you can manage benefits using one website: calchoice.com.
4: Medical + Options for Ancillary
It doesn’t stop there. You can add Ancillary coverage for your employees, too:
- Dental: Two Dental plans offering a range of covered services are available – a SmileSaverSM Dental HMO or an Ameritas PPO.
- Vision: The Voluntary Vision program from Vision One Eyecare offers discounts on vision care services and prescription eyewear.
- Chiropractic: Landmark Healthplan offers chiropractic benefits including exams, adjustments, and optional acupuncture.
- Life and AD&D: Assurity Life offers coverage from $5,000 to $100,000 with Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefits and a living benefits provision.
CaliforniaChoice puts you and your employees in charge of your own benefits.
5: Value-Added Extras, Too
CaliforniaChoice also offers value-added extras through our Business Solutions Suite and Member Value Suite, which include access to:
- A no-cost Premium Only Plan (POP)
- A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) (Available to groups with 15 or more employees.)
- State or federal COBRA participant invoicing, premium collection, and remittance (Cal-COBRA or COBRA billing services depend on your company’s group size.)
- Reduced fees for Dental Care services through Dentegra® Smile Club providers
- Savings on hearing tests, hearing aids, batteries, and more from EPIC Hearing Service Plan
- Prescription savings using the California Rx Card; you may be able to reduce your Rx out-of-pocket costs to less than your health plan copay
- A free Cal Perks membership offering savings on theme and water parks, sporting events, museums, movies, travel, and more
- Discounts on fitness center memberships and wellness
When comparing employee benefits, it’s good to look beyond just health care. With CaliforniaChoice, you get so much more.
Learn More from Your Broker!
Employee turnover increases your costs. Offering the right benefits program can go a long way in keeping employees happy. Ask your broker about how you can offer more choices to employees with CaliforniaChoice. If you don’t already have a broker, it’s easy to search for one at MyCalChoice.com.