CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Kaiser Permanente and Western Health Advantage
Health care is not one size fits all, which is why CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program. With so many options, CaliforniaChoice fits the diverse health care needs of your employees - there's a plan for everyone.
To help you understand the key benefits of each plan in the CaliforniaChoice program, we’re comparing each of them and highlighting what makes them unique. In this comparison we're looking at Kaiser Permanente and Western Health Advantage.
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
Western Health Advantage
Since 1996, Western Health Advantage (WHA) has been a reliable health care partner to Northern Californians. Through its HMO network, WHA serves employers and individuals in Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties as well as parts of Placer and El Dorado counties. Supporting communities is one of WHA’s core values.
Western Health Advantage Benefits Overview
- Affordable coverage with many choices
- A network of thousands of local, trusted doctors and specialists
- Responsive customer service staffed by local, real people
- MyWHA Wellness program with online health and wellness tools
- Discounts on gym memberships
- Nurse24 advice line with registered nurses 24/7
- Worldwide urgent and emergency coverage with Assist America
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
CaliforniaChoice gives you and your employees the ability to choose the health plan that meets your unique needs. For example, one of your employees could choose Kaiser Permanente because of its statewide HMO network. Another employee could select Western Health Advantage because of its 24/7 accessibility to nurses and doctors.
However, the advantages of CaliforniaChoice go beyond great health insurance options. There are extras for employers, too. CaliforniaChoice offers single source administration for enrollment, billing, eligibility, and customer service. You can manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program – and pay just one monthly bill.
Check back to see additional plan comparisons, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
Your employee benefits agent or insurance broker can help you learn more about all of the coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you don’t already have an agent, you can find one here.