CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Sharp Health Plan and Kaiser Permanente
Health care is not one size fits all. That's why CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from a variety of different health plans in a single program.
Understanding your health plan options, and their unique benefits, is just as important as having choices. Our health plan comparison series puts a spotlight on the subject. In this comparison, we explore the benefits of Sharp Health Plan and Kaiser Permanente, two popular health plans available through CaliforniaChoice.
Sharp Health Plan
Sharp Health Plan is the only local, commercial health plan serving San Diego since 1992. As a non-profit company, Sharp Health Plan gives back to the community by providing access to affordable health care of the highest quality, serving a variety of organizations ranging from small businesses to large employers to municipalities.
Sharp Health Plan Benefits Overview
- HMO Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze plans
- High Deductible Bronze HMO and Health Savings Account (HSA) plans
- High-performance health care network with more than 600 Primary Care Physicians, 1,100 specialists, and 13 local hospitals
- Sharp Nurse Connection after-hours nurse advice line
- Global emergency service program operated by Assist America
- Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries available at CVS MinuteClinic® locations nationwide
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945, and it was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees can find a health plan that best meets your individual needs. One of your employees might choose the benefits of a “hometown” health care provider like San Diego-based Sharp Health Plan. Another employee might prefer Kaiser Permanente because of its statewide provider network. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they want – plus the option to choose from seven other plans, too.
The advantages of CaliforniaChoice are not just for your employees. There are benefits for you, too -- like the ability to manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program and pay just one monthly bill. CaliforniaChoice also offers single source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer service.
Check back to see additional CaliforniaChoice comparisons for these health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Cigna + Oscar
- Health Net
- Oscar Health
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can help you learn more about all of the advantages and coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you do not have an agent, we can help you can find one here.