CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Health Net and Oscar Health
Everyone’s health care needs are different. That's the idea on which CaliforniaChoice was built 25+ years ago. CaliforniaChoice gives people the freedom to choose the health plan that fits their unique needs. That's because we offer access to nine premier health plans in a single health insurance program.
Knowing the key benefits of each of our plans helps members determine which health plan is right for them. Our CaliforniaChoice plan comparison series takes a closer look at what you can expect from each. This comparison highlights Health Net and Oscar Health.
Established in 1977, Health Net of California is among the state’s largest health insurers. It offers a range of coverage options to millions of California residents. Within the CaliforniaChoice program, you and your employees can choose from 12 different HMO options.
Health Net Benefits Overview
- Predictable costs and easy-to-understand health care benefits
- A choice of provider networks with trusted doctors, medical groups, and hospitals in cities across California
- Access to nurses by phone 24/7
- A Health Net Mobile app that makes it easier for you to get things done
- 24/7 access to telehealth services, with board-certified doctors available by phone, mobile app, or on the web
- Ability to schedule an on-demand doctor house call for sick/urgent care services through Heal.com (in select urban areas)
- Decision Power Wellness Coaching
- Strength and stability: Centene, Health Net’s parent company, is a Fortune 100 company
Oscar is the country’s first technology-driven health insurer focused on improving the member experience through easy, personalized service.
Oscar for Business was launched to bring the same Oscar experience that individuals already love to the employer market.
Oscar Benefits Overview
- Full access to a network of first-rate providers that includes top health systems like UCLA, USC Keck, Hoag, Huntington, and others – in fact, Oscar has four of the LA region’s top five hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) in-network.
- No referrals required – ever. Being required to visit a primary care physician first in order to see a specialist can waste your time and money. With Oscar, you can go directly to any specialist in your network – no roadblocks!
- A dedicated Concierge team, made up of care guides and a nurse who can answer questions, can help you save money, and can help find you a doctor. Each Oscar member is assigned his or her very own Concierge team, which means you talk to the same people every time you have questions – no more anonymous call centers.
- Unlimited Doctor on Call. Talk to a board-certified doctor within 15 minutes, 24/7, for medical advice. Oscar will even send prescriptions straight to your pharmacy. All plans offer telemedicine at no cost or a low ($15) copay!
- Oscar’s industry-leading mobile app makes it easy to manage benefits, find great care, and see everything in one place. You can easily search for doctors in-network, track your deductible, understand your claims, see lab results and prescriptions, access your digital member ID card, message your Concierge team, talk to a doctor via Doctor on Call, and more!
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees can find a health plan that best meets your needs. For example, one of your employees might choose an HMO from Health Net because of its statewide provider network. Another employee might prefer the technology focus of a plan like Oscar. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they want – plus the option to choose from other plans, too.
The advantages of CaliforniaChoice are not just for your employees. There are benefits for you -- like the ability to manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program and pay just one monthly bill. CaliforniaChoice also offers single source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer service.
Check back to see additional CaliforniaChoice comparisons for these health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Cigna + Oscar
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can help you learn more about all of the advantages and coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you do not have an agent, we can help you can find one here.