If you’re interested in giving your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program, CaliforniaChoice is for you. Choice is a part of our name – and we have been offering more of it to Californians since 1996.
Having a variety of PPO, HMO, EPO, and other health plan options is important, because it gives you the opportunity to match a plan to your specific health care needs. We launched our health plan comparison series in 2020 to help you understand the advantages offered by each of the eight health plans that are part of CaliforniaChoice.
The comparison below looks at Oscar Health, which offers group coverage in Los Angeles and Orange counties, and Sutter Health Plus, which is available regionally in Northern California.
Oscar is the country’s first technology-driven health insurer focused on improving the member experience through easy, personalized service.
Oscar for Business was launched to bring the same Oscar experience that individuals already love to the employer market.
Oscar Benefits Overview
- Full access to a network of first-rate providers that includes top health systems like UCLA, USC Keck, Hoag, Huntington, and others – in fact, Oscar has four of LA’s top five hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) in-network!
- No referrals required – ever. Being required to get a primary care physician first in order to see a specialist can waste your time and money. With Oscar, you can go directly to any specialist in your network – no roadblocks!
- A dedicated Concierge team, made up of care guides and a nurse who can answer questions, can help you save money, and find you a doctor. Each member is assigned his or her very own Concierge team, which means you talk to the same people every time you have questions – no more anonymous call centers!
- Unlimited Doctor on Call. Talk to a board-certified doctor within 15 minutes, 24/7, for medical advice. Oscar will even send prescriptions straight to your pharmacy. All plans offer telemedicine at no cost or a low ($15) copay!
- Oscar’s industry-leading mobile app makes it easy to manage benefits, find great care, and see everything in one place. You can easily search for doctors in your network, track your deductible, understand your claims, see lab results and prescriptions, access your digital member ID card, message your Concierge team, talk to a doctor via Doctor on Call, and more!
Sutter Health Plus
A not-for-profit health plan, Sutter Health Plus serves the Greater Central Valley, Sacramento, and San Francisco Bay areas of Northern California, offering competitively priced HMO health plans. With Sutter Health Plus, you have access to a high-quality provider network that includes many of Sutter Health’s nationally respected and recognized hospitals, doctors, and other health care services – all at an affordable price.
Sutter Health Plus Benefits Overview
- Competitively priced coverage offering members access to a broad network of providers
- Convenient locations for primary care, specialty care, X-ray and diagnostic imaging, hospital services, lab, and more
- Welcome calls to help members better understand benefits and coverage — and assist in facilitating initial appointments
- Coverage anywhere in the world for emergency and urgent care
- Access to a mail-order pharmacy program and conveniently located retail pharmacies
- My Health Online (not offered by all providers) to schedule appointments, email doctors, view test results, and access medical records
- A 24/7 nurse advice triage line
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, one of your employees might choose Sutter Health because of its provider network, while another selects Oscar because of its focus on health care integration with technology. They both get what they want with CaliforniaChoice – plus the option to choose from six other plans. In addition, there are employer benefits, too – including single-source administration for enrollment, eligibility, billing, and customer service.
Check back to see additional comparisons for other CaliforniaChoice health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sharp Health Plan
- Western Health Advantage
To learn more about coverage options available from CaliforniaChoice, talk with your employee benefits or health insurance agent. If you don’t have an agent, you can search for one here.