CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Western Health Advantage and Oscar Health
At CaliforniaChoice, we understand just how important it is to have choices when it comes to health care. That's why we give you and your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program.
Our health plan comparison series takes a closer look at each of our health plans and they're unique offerings. This comparison highlights Western Health Advantage, available regionally in Northern California, and Oscar Health, available in Southern California.
Western Health Advantage
Since 1996, Western Health Advantage (WHA) has been a reliable health care partner to Northern Californians. Through its HMO network, WHA serves employers and individuals in Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties as well as parts of Placer and El Dorado counties. Supporting communities is one of WHA’s core values.
Western Health Advantage Benefits Overview
- Affordable coverage with many choices
- A network of thousands of local, trusted doctors and specialists
- Responsive customer service staffed by local, real people
- MyWHA Wellness program with online health and wellness tools
- Discounts on gym memberships
- Nurse24 advice line with registered nurses 24/7
- Worldwide urgent and emergency coverage with Assist America
Oscar is the country’s first technology-driven health insurer focused on improving the member experience through easy, personalized service.
Oscar for Business was launched to bring the same Oscar experience that individuals already love to the employer market.
Oscar Benefits Overview
- Full access to a network of first-rate providers that includes top health systems like UCLA, USC Keck, Hoag, Huntington, and others – in fact, Oscar has four of the LA region’s top five hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) in-network.
- No referrals required – ever. Being required to visit a primary care physician first in order to see a specialist can waste your time and money. With Oscar, you can go directly to any specialist in your network – no roadblocks!
- A dedicated Concierge team, made up of care guides and a nurse who can answer questions, can help you save money, and find you a doctor. Each Oscar member is assigned his or her very own Concierge team, which means you talk to the same people every time you have questions – no more anonymous call centers.
- Unlimited Doctor on Call. Talk to a board-certified doctor within 15 minutes, 24/7, for medical advice. Oscar will even send prescriptions straight to your pharmacy. All plans offer telemedicine at no cost or a low ($15) copay!
- Oscar’s industry-leading mobile app makes it easy to manage benefits, find great care, and see everything in one place. You can easily search for doctors in your network, track your deductible, understand your claims, see lab results and prescriptions, access your digital member ID card, message your Concierge team, talk to a doctor via Doctor on Call, and more!
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees can find a health plan that best meets your needs. For example, one of your employees might choose a plan because of its regional or statewide provider network. Another employee might prefer the technology focus of a plan like Oscar. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they want – plus the option to choose from six other plans, too.
The advantages of CaliforniaChoice are not just for your employees. There are benefits for you -- like the ability to manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program and pay just one monthly bill. CaliforniaChoice also offers single source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer service.
Check back to see additional CaliforniaChoice comparisons for these health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
An employee benefits agent can help you learn more about all of the advantages and coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you do not have an agent, we can help you can find one here.