CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Sharp Health Plan and Western Health Advantage
When it comes to something as important as health insurance, having a choice should be a given. CaliforniaChoice offers it. Our program gives you and your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program.
To help guide your decision, we're highlighting the unique offerings for each of our eight plans. In this comparison, we look at Sharp Health Plan and Western Health Advantage, two regional health plan options available through CaliforniaChoice.
Sharp Health Plan
Sharp Health Plan is the only local, commercial health plan, serving San Diego since 1992. As a non-profit company, Sharp Health Plan gives back to the community by providing access to affordable health care of the highest quality, serving a variety of organizations ranging from small businesses to large employers to municipalities.
Sharp Health Plan Benefits Overview
- HMO Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze plans
- High Deductible Bronze HMO and Health Savings Account (HSA) plans
- High-performance health care network with more than 600 Primary Care Physicians, 1,100 specialists, and 13 local hospitals
- Sharp Nurse Connection, an after-hours nurse advice line
- Global emergency service program operated by Assist America
- Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries available at CVS MinuteClinic® locations nationwide
Western Health Advantage
Since 1996, Western Health Advantage (WHA) has been a reliable health care partner to Northern Californians. Through its HMO network, WHA serves employers and individuals in Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties as well as parts of Placer and El Dorado counties. Supporting communities is one of WHA’s core values.
Western Health Advantage Benefits Overview
- Affordable coverage with many choices
- A network of thousands of local, trusted doctors and specialists
- Responsive customer service staffed by local, real people
- MyWHA Wellness program with online health and wellness tools
- Discounts on gym memberships
- Nurse24 advice line with registered nurses 24/7
- Worldwide urgent and emergency coverage with Assist America
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees have more choice – and the ability to find insurance that meets your unique needs. One of your employees might choose a plan because of its broad PPO network. Another employee might select HMO coverage from a regional or statewide plan. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they need – while other employees have the option to choose from six other plans.
There are benefits for you, too – like a single monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage and single-source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
Check back to see additional comparisons on other CaliforniaChoice plans, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sutter Health Plan
An employee benefits agent can provide you with more information about the advantages of CaliforniaChoice and the coverage options available. If you don't already have an agent, you can search for one here.