CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Western Health Advantage and Anthem Blue Cross
CaliforniaChoice recognizes the importance of having choices when it comes to something as important as health care. That's why we've created the most diverse portfolio of health benefits on the market. We give you and your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program.
We're highlighting the key offerings of each of our health plans in our plan comparison series. This comparison features Western Health Advantage, available regionally in Northern California, and Anthem Blue Cross, available statewide.
Western Health Advantage
Since 1996, Western Health Advantage (WHA) has been a reliable health care partner to Northern Californians. Through its HMO network, WHA serves employers and individuals in Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties as well as parts of Placer and El Dorado counties. Supporting communities is one of WHA’s core values.
Western Health Advantage Benefits Overview
- Affordable coverage with many choices
- A network of thousands of local, trusted doctors and specialists
- Responsive customer service staffed by local, real people
- MyWHA Wellness program with online health and wellness tools
- Discounts on gym memberships
- Nurse24 advice line with registered nurses 24/7
- Worldwide urgent and emergency coverage with Assist America
Anthem Blue Cross
Among the top insurers in the state, Anthem Blue Cross delivers health insurance coverage to millions of Californians. The insurer offers health improvement programs, simplified administration, and flexible, innovative benefits.
Anthem Benefits Overview
- Contracted with more than 90% of hospitals in California, including 400 acute care hospitals
- One of the largest PPO networks in the country with access to thousands of doctors and specialists and more than 60,800 doctors and specialists in California
- Strong network contracting with an average 60% hospital discount and 48% average provider discount
- Online cost and care finder tools and via the Anthem mobile app; it’s easy to compare costs for common services and procedures; you can also check the quality of health care providers through member reviews and ratings
- PayForward gives you an opportunity to earn cash back shopping at thousands of retailers; a Special Offers program includes discounts on health products and services
- Wellness programs and tools to help keep you active and fit
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
You can offer your employees coverage from eight health plans through CaliforniaChoice – so it’s easy to find one that best meets their unique needs. For example, one employee might select Anthem Blue Cross because it includes a preferred doctor, while another employee might choose Western Health Advantage because of its strong regional provider network. With CaiforniaChoice, they both get what they prefer, while other employees have access to six additional regional and statewide health plan options.
CaliforniaChoice offers other advantages, too. Like one monthly bill for all employees’ coverage, a Member Value Suite with discounts on gym memberships and fitness gear, a Business Solutions Suite that includes a no-cost Premium Only Plan, and a single email and toll-free phone number for customer care.
Visit our website again to see other CaliforniaChoice plan comparisons, including:
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
For additional information about CaliforniaChoice and its Member Value Suite and Business Solutions Suite, talk with your employee benefits agent or health insurance broker. If you don’t already have one, we can help you find one here.