CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Kaiser Permanente and Sutter Health Plus
Health care is not one size fits all, which is why CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program. While everyone loves choices, understanding the options and selecting a health plan that is right for you and your family can be a confusing process.
So, we’re breaking it down and comparing key benefits of each of our eight participating health plans. Below, we compare the benefits of Kaiser Permanente and Sutter Health Plus, two popular health plans available through CaliforniaChoice.
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
Sutter Health Plus
Not-for-profit Sutter Health Plus offers competitively priced HMO health plans in the Greater Central Valley, Sacramento, and San Francisco Bay Area. When you choose Sutter Health Plus, you gain access to a high-quality provider network that includes many of Sutter Health’s nationally respected and recognized hospitals, doctors, and other health care services – all at an affordable price.
Sutter Health Plus Benefits Overview
- Competitively priced products that give members access to a network of providers
- Convenient locations within service area for primary care, specialty care, X-ray and diagnostic imaging, lab, hospital services, etc.
- Mail-order pharmacy program and conveniently located retail pharmacies
- My Health Online (not offered by all providers) to schedule appointments, email doctors, view test results, and access your records
- Coverage for emergency and urgent care anywhere in the world
- Welcome calls to help new and returning members better understand medical benefits and coverage – and assist in facilitating initial appointments
- 24/7 nurse advice triage line
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees have more choice – and the ability to find health insurance that meets your unique needs. One of your employees might choose a plan because of its broad PPO network. Another employee might select HMO coverage from a regional or statewide plan. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they need – while other employees have the option to choose from six other plans.
There are benefits for you, too – like a single monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage and single-source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
Check back to see additional comparisons on other CaliforniaChoice plans, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Health Net
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can provide you with more information about the advantages of CaliforniaChoice and the available coverage options . If you don’t already have an agent, you can search for one here.