CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Kaiser Permanente and Oscar Health
Having choices when it comes to health insurance is important. After all, health care is not “one size fits all.” We knew that when we started CaliforniaChoice in 1996, and it’s equally important today. CaliforniaChoice gives you and your employees the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single health insurance program.
Choice is important, as is having information to help you choose the health plan that is right for you. We’re breaking it down and comparing key benefits of each of our eight participating health plans in a comparison series. Below, we compare the benefits of Kaiser Permanente and Oscar Health, two popular health plans available through CaliforniaChoice.
Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and was one of the nation’s first health programs to offer comprehensive health care services on a prepaid basis.
Headquartered in Oakland, California, Kaiser Permanente’s innovative spirit drives the country’s largest non-profit health care organization – guided by physicians and focused on providing high-quality care to members.
Kaiser Permanente Benefits Overview
- 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia, including 8.5 million members in California
- More than 16,000 physicians provide care at 450+ medical offices and 36 hospitals in California
- Only one of ten physician applicants is chosen to become a member of Kaiser Permanente’s care team
- Members choose their own personal physician and can change doctors for any reason
- “Excellent” ratings from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the leading reviewer of health plan quality
Oscar is the country’s first technology-driven health insurer focused on improving the member experience through easy, personalized service.
Oscar for Business was launched to bring the same Oscar experience that individuals already love to the employer market.
Oscar Benefits Overview
- Full access to a network of first-rate providers that includes top health systems like UCLA, USC Keck, Hoag, Huntington, and others. Oscar has four of LA’s top five hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) in-network.
- No referrals required. Being required to get a primary care physician first in order to see a specialist can waste your time and money. With Oscar, you can go directly to any specialist in your network.
- A dedicated Concierge team, made up of care guides and a nurse who can answer questions, help you save money, and find you a doctor. Each member is assigned his or her very own Concierge team, which means you talk to the same people every time you have questions.
- Unlimited Doctor on Call. Talk to a board-certified doctor within 15 minutes, 24/7, for medical advice. Oscar will even send prescriptions straight to your pharmacy. All plans offer telemedicine at no cost or a low ($15) copay.
Oscar’s mobile app makes it easy to manage benefits, find great care, and see everything in one place. You can easily search for doctors in your network, track your deductible, understand your claims, see lab results and prescriptions, access your digital member ID card, message your Concierge team, and talk to a doctor via Doctor on Call.
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you can offer your employees coverage from eight health plans (with dozens of coverage options), so they can easily find the one that best meets their unique needs. For example, one employee who travels frequently in the state could choose a plan based on its vast network of providers across California, while another employee might select a plan with an integrated approach to health care through its own facilities. With CaiforniaChoice, they can both get what they want, while other employees have access to six other statewide and regional health plan options.
CaliforniaChoice offers more than great health insurance. You get one monthly bill for all of your employees’ coverage, value-added benefits like the Member Value Suite and Business Solutions Suite, and a single email and toll-free phone number for enrollment, eligibility, and customer care.
Check back to see other comparisons for CaliforniaChoice plans, including:
- Anthem Blue Cross ADD LINKS
- Health Net
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
For additional information about all of the advantages offered by CaliforniaChoice, talk with your employee benefits agent or insurance broker. If you don’t have one, we can help you find one here.