CaliforniaChoice Health Plan Comparison: Anthem Blue Cross and UnitedHealthcare
Health care is not one size fits all, which is why CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from eight different health plans in a single program. While everyone loves choices, understanding the options and selecting a health plan that is right for you and your family can be a confusing process.
So, we’re breaking it down and comparing key benefits of each of our participating health plans. The comparison below looks at Anthem Blue Cross and UnitedHealthcare.
Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross is among the state’s top insurers, delivering health insurance coverage to millions of Californians. The insurer offers flexible, innovative benefits, health improvement programs, and simplified administration.
Anthem Benefits Overview
- One of the largest PPO networks in the country with access to more than 60,800 doctors and specialists in California
- Contracted with more than 90% of hospitals in California, including 400 acute care hospitals
- Strong network contracting with an average 60% hospital discount and 48% average provider discount
- Cost and care finder tools online and via the Anthem mobile app; it’s easy to compare costs for common services and procedures based on specific benefits; you can also check the quality of providers through ratings and member reviews
- PayForward gives you an opportunity to earn cash back when shopping at thousands of retailers; a separate Special Offers program includes discounts on healthy products and services
- Wellness programs and tools to help keep you active and fit
UnitedHealthcare of California provides access to quality care and helps you manage your family’s health care costs. The insurer’s large California HMO network includes local physicians and health care professionals in your community. Offering a combination of benefits, quality care, wellness programs to help keep you and your family healthier, and award-winning customer service makes UnitedHealthcare the smart choice for your family’s health care coverage needs.
UnitedHealthcare Benefits Overview
- A broad network of quality local doctors and hospitals
- A member website, uhcwest.com, providing online tools and resources
- Health and wellness programs
- Preventive care for covered family members
- Fitness reimbursement program
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees can find a health plan that best meets your individual needs. One of your employees might choose UnitedHealthcare because of its statewide provider network. Another employee might prefer a PPO plan from Anthem Blue Cross. With CaliforniaChoice, they both get what they want – plus the option to choose from other plans, too.
The advantages of CaliforniaChoice are not just for your employees. There are benefits for you, too -- like the ability to manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program and pay just one monthly bill. CaliforniaChoice also offers single source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer service.
Check back to see additional CaliforniaChoice comparisons for these health plans:
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sharp Health Plan
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can help you learn more about all of the advantages and coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you do not have an agent, we can help you can find one here.