CaliforniaChoice Carrier Comparison: Health Net and Sharp Health Plan
Everyone’s health care needs are different. That's the idea on which CaliforniaChoice was built 25 years ago. CaliforniaChoice gives people the freedom to choose the health plan that's right for them and their family. That's because we offer access to eight premier health plans in a single health insurance program.
Understanding the key benefits of each of our plans is a critical part of the decision-making process. Our plan comparison series takes a closer look at what you can expect from each. This comparison highlights Health Net, available statewide, and Sharp Health Plan, serving the San Diego area.
Established in 1977, Health Net of California is among the state’s largest health insurers. It offers a range of coverage options to millions of California residents. Within the CaliforniaChoice program, you and your employees can choose from 12 different HMO options.
Health Net Benefits Overview
- Predictable costs and easy-to-understand health care benefits
- A choice of provider networks with trusted doctors, medical groups, and hospitals in cities across California
- Access to nurses by phone 24/7
- A Health Net Mobile app that makes it easier for you to get things done
- 24/7 access to telehealth services, with board-certified doctors available by phone, mobile app, or on the web
- Ability to schedule an on-demand doctor house call for sick/urgent care services through Heal.com (in select urban areas)
- Decision Power Wellness Coaching
- Strength and stability: Centene, Health Net’s parent company, is a Fortune 100 company
Sharp Health Plan
Sharp Health Plan is the only local, commercial health plan serving San Diego since 1992. As a non-profit company, Sharp Health Plan gives back to the community by providing access to affordable health care of the highest quality, serving a variety of organizations ranging from small businesses to large employers to municipalities.
Sharp Health Plan Benefits Overview
- HMO Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze plans
- High Deductible Bronze HMO and Health Savings Account (HSA) plans
- High-performance health care network with more than 600 Primary Care Physicians, 1,100 specialists, and 13 local hospitals
- Sharp Nurse Connection after-hours nurse advice line
- Global emergency service program operated by Assist America
- Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries available at CVS MinuteClinic® locations nationwide
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
With CaliforniaChoice, you and your employees can find a health plan that best meets your needs. One of your employees might choose Health Net because of its statewide provider network. Another employee might prefer the benefits of a “hometown” health care provider like San Diego-based Sharp Health Plan. With CaliforniaChoice, they get the freedom to choose.
The advantages of CaliforniaChoice are not just for your employees. There are benefits for you, too -- like the ability to manage all of your employees’ health insurance benefits in a single program and pay just one monthly bill. CaliforniaChoice also offers single source administration for enrollment, eligibility, and customer service.
Check back to see additional CaliforniaChoice comparisons for these health plans:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
An employee benefits agent can help you learn more about all of the advantages and coverage options from CaliforniaChoice. If you do not have an agent, we can help you can find one here.