CaliforniaChoice Plan Comparison: Anthem Blue Cross and Sharp Health Plan
You and your employees know that having choices is important. We do, too – “choice” is part of our name. CaliforniaChoice gives you the freedom to choose from a roster of health plans in a single employee benefits program.
However, having choices is not enough if you don’t understand how each health plan we offer differs. You need to understand the advantages offered by each. Our ongoing series of plan comparisons breaks it down for you.
The comparison below looks at Anthem Blue Cross, available statewide, and Sharp Health Plan, available regionally in the San Diego area.
Anthem Blue Cross
Among the top insurers in the state, Anthem Blue Cross delivers health insurance coverage to millions of Californians. The insurer offers health improvement programs, simplified administration, and flexible, innovative benefits.
Anthem Benefits Overview
- Contracted with more than 90% of hospitals in California, including 400 acute care hospitals
- One of the largest PPO networks in the country with access to thousands of doctors and specialists and more than 60,800 doctors and specialists in California
- Strong network contracting with an average 60% hospital discount and 48% average provider discount
- Online cost and care finder tools and via the Anthem mobile app; it’s easy to compare costs for common services and procedures; you can also check the quality of health care providers through member reviews and ratings
- PayForward gives you an opportunity to earn cash back shopping at thousands of retailers; a Special Offers program includes discounts on health products and services
- Wellness programs and tools to help keep you active and fit
Sharp Health Plan
Sharp Health Plan is the only local, commercial health plan serving San Diego since 1992. As a non-profit company, Sharp Health Plan gives back to the community by providing access to affordable health care of the highest quality, serving a variety of organizations ranging from small businesses to large employers to municipalities.
Sharp Health Plan Benefits Overview
- HMO Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze plans
- High Deductible Bronze HMO and Health Savings Account (HSA) plans
- High-performance health care network with more than 600 Primary Care Physicians, 1,100 specialists, and 13 local hospitals
- Sharp Nurse Connection after-hours nurse advice line
- Global emergency service program operated by Assist America
- Treatment for minor illnesses and injuries available at CVS MinuteClinic® locations nationwide
The CaliforniaChoice Advantage
You can offer your employees coverage from nine health plans through CaliforniaChoice – so it’s easy to find one that best meets their unique health care needs. For example, one employee might select Anthem Blue Cross because it includes a preferred doctor, while another employee might choose Sharp Health Plan because of its premier regional provider network. With CaiforniaChoice, they both get what they prefer, while other employees have access to additional regional and statewide health plan options.
CaliforniaChoice offers other advantages, too. Like one monthly bill for all employees’ coverage, a Member Value Suite with discounts on gym memberships and fitness gear, a Business Solutions Suite that includes a no-cost Premium Only Plan, and a single email and toll-free phone number for customer care.
Visit our website again to see other CaliforniaChoice plan comparisons, including:
- Cigna + Oscar
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oscar Health
- Sutter Health Plus
- Western Health Advantage
For additional information about CaliforniaChoice and its Member Value Suite and Business Solutions Suite, talk with your employee benefits agent or health insurance broker. If you don’t already have one, we can help you find one here.